Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Honoring" 20 Years of "Service". . . Please!

[Left: District 2 Parks Commissioner, Pandora Nash-Karner, addresses the crowd at a recent SLO County government function.
Photo courtesy: slocountyparks.com]






TO: Tami Douglas-Schatz, Human Resources Director, SLO County Government
DATE: 8/25/10

Hello Tami,

I'm researching a story, and I just had a quick question that I thought you might be able to help me with.

On the agenda for the previous (8/24/10) Supervisors' meeting, there was "Presentation of employee 20 year service awards."

Here's my question:

Is there a similar recognition that the County presents for its longtime commission appointees?

The reason I ask, is because next January (2011), Pandora Nash-Karner will mark her 20th year as a SLO County Parks Commissioner (she was first appointed to the Commission by former District 2 Supervisor, Bud Laurent, in January 1991, after working as Laurent's "campaign materials manager" throughout 1990, and then re-appointed to two more terms by former Supervisor, Shirley Bianchi, and then re-appointed in 2007 by Supervisor, Bruce Gibson, so, I'm assuming he's also going to reappoint her again, when her current term expires at the end of this year.)

So do you know if the County honors its longtime commissioners like it does with its longtime employees?

I sure hope so, because if SLO County Supervisors were to publicly "honor" Nash-Karner at a Supervisors' meeting next January, for her 20 years of "service" on the Parks Commission -- complete with an official Resolution, and public comment -- that would be excellent for my story.

Thanks in advance for your answer,
Ron

P.S. I've published this e-mail on my blog:

sewerwatch.blogspot.com

###

2 Comments:

  • For you Ron, I hope they construct a Story Pole memorial to Pandora.
    It wont cost much, just some sticks and string, Everyone could gather round it and pray for mana from Obama,
    "Please deliver us a park with kiddy lots and shrubbery"
    they could pray.
    Pandora would ride up in a porta potty and bestow beneficent rolls of biodegradable sanitary paper to the unwashed masses.
    I'd be there, but I moved to Oregon

    My home has a septic tank with a pump.


    HAJHAHAHAHA!

    By Blogger Mike Green, at 9:53 PM, August 25, 2010  

  • So I guess, Ron, you and i have more in common than ever, neither one of us lives in Los Osos, but we find the story compelling.
    It's a big play, I only had a small walk on part as a voter.
    I'll keep watching to see what the outcome will be, but one thing I'm sure of.
    Los Osos would have been far better off without Pandora Nash Karner.
    If anyone there is still paying attention, pay heed.

    By Blogger Mike Green, at 10:23 PM, August 25, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home