Tuesday, March 09, 2010

SLO County Government's Awkward, Indirect Lines of Communication: No Bueno

[Note: If you've ever wondered why investigative journalism is going the way of the woolly mammoth, crap like this has A LOT to do with it.]

TO: Curtis Black, Deputy Director, SLO County Parks Department
DATE: 3/9/10

Hello Curtis,

Thank you for your reply [reprinted below]... I guess???... to my questions that I e-mailed directly to Supervisor Gibson.

This is kind of an awkward way to do this, but it looks like it'll have to do. Could you now please ask Mr. Gibson another question for me, and then you could also answer this question on his "behalf"... again.

In your answer -- to my questions for Supervisor Gibson -- you write:

- - -
"Pandora may have expressed surprise as she may not have recalled the information. However, Supervisor Gibson did let her know of the Coastal Commission's actions and their impact on the potential for a Prop 84 application."
- - -

Yet, on the 1/28/10 Parks Commission meeting recording, Commissioner Nash-Karner, says, "I had no idea (about the Prop 84/Tri-W park application)."

She also asks you, "What were the reasons that Bruce (Gibson) gave (for withdrawing the funding request)?" And, she also said, "I'll talk to Bruce about this (Prop. 84 funding for the Tri-W park project) issue."

So, here's my question:

Did Supervisor Gibson lie to you, and then have you lie to me... on his "behalf," or, did Commissioner Nash-Karner truly NOT "recall" -- at all... a complete memory blackout -- recently speaking with Supervisor Gibson about that seemingly (at least to her) very important issue?

I will note, that on that 1/28/10 recording, she did more than "express surprise" upon hearing that Prop 84 news. She was, frankly, blown away. "Express surprise" is not an accurate phrase to describe her reaction to that information. She went on a 20-minute rambling rant regarding the issue, including expressing her grave "disappointment" with Parks Dept. staff, including you, for simply complying with Supervisor Gibson's "request" to withdraw the application.

Her rant was so offensive to you, Curtis, that, at the end of it, you, understandably, call her, "Very unfair... truly unfair."

And, I will ALSO note, that, after allegedly not "recalling" her conversation with her Supervisor, all she had to do was glance at her agenda packet BEFORE the meeting, and she would have quickly seen that the Prop 84 funding request had been withdrawn.

So, let me see if I have this straight: According to Supervisor Gibson... according to you... Pandora Nash-Karner doesn't "recall" important conversations with her Supervisor, AND doesn't check her agenda packets before meetings?

Um, isn't that her job?

OR, is the entire Parks Commission one big Brown Act shredding scam, as I recently exposed (and have filed a complaint with the SLO County DA's office asking them to investigate) at this link:

http://sewerwatch.blogspot.com/2010/02/sewerwatch-asks-da-to-investigate.html

... this link:

http://sewerwatch.blogspot.com/2010/02/slo-county-parks-department-uses.html

... and exists just so the Commissioners (and their spouses) can cash fat checks from public money? Because, I've got to admit, it's really starting to look that way, as my complaint with the Fair Political Practices Commission exposes, at this link:

http://sewerwatch.blogspot.com/2010/01/great-san-los-osobispo-botanical-sewer.html

I'm very interested in hearing how Supervisor Gibson answers my questions -- answers that will, apparently, come from you, on his "behalf," and then you send them to me, and then I reply to you, with questions for him... that you then answer... again... on his "behalf."

As always, much thanks,
Ron

P.S. I've published this e-mail on my blog.

sewerwatch.blogspot.com

- - -

At 6:06 PM -0800 3/3/10, cblack@co.slo.ca.us wrote:

Good afternoon Mr. Crawford,

This e-mail is sent on behalf of Supervisor Gibson. It regards your recent request for information and our conversation(s) about the Tri-W site and possible Prop 84 application. Please see e-mail following.

I believe this is the information that you have sought....
The Prop 84 application was withdrawn because the Coastal Commission had decided to conduct further review of the appeals for the sewer project. So, the Tri-W site was not entirely ready for consideration.

Pandora may have expressed surprise as she may not have recalled the information. However, Supervisor Gibson did let her know of the Coastal Commission's actions and their impact on the potential for a Prop 84 application.

I am not aware of any additional conversation(s) regarding the Tri-W site. I can say that County Parks would strongly support having a park for mid-town Los Osos and the Tri-W site would meet most of County Park's desires for park lands. The size and location would make it a suitable parcel. As County Parks Deputy Director, I do not have any responsibilities regarding the sewer project and anticipate that our conversations would only be as relates to the parks and recreation services that County Parks provides for the community.

Thank you again for your interest in parks and recreation services in Los Osos.
Regards,
Curtis

Curtis Black
Deputy Director - Parks
County of San Luis Obispo
General Services Agency
"Delivering excellence to every customer."
- - -

###

[10 weeks down... 42 to go.]

12 Comments:

  • Wow I wonder if the prime objective of "Delivering excellence to every customer" was met?

    Hmnn, that Credo has a weird familiarity to it, I wonder......

    By Blogger Mike Green, at 3:56 PM, March 10, 2010  

  • Before leaving your page, I clicked on the link of the SLO County's official LO sewer project page. Their most recent post of "Recent News and Events" is Nov 3,2009. It's good to know that we are being kept current.
    Funny, since your last 4or5 articles, someone named Richard LeGros hasn't been posting here. Wonder whatever happened to him?
    Sincerely, M

    By Blogger M, at 4:14 PM, March 10, 2010  

  • Ron Crawford, still fighting the good fight! May the force be with you.

    By Blogger Jeff McMahon, at 6:16 AM, March 11, 2010  

  • Mike Green wrote:

    "Wow I wonder if the prime objective of "Delivering excellence to every customer" was met?

    Hmnn, that Credo has a weird familiarity to it, I wonder....
    "

    Hilarious! Great eye, Mike.

    I left that quote in there on purpose. On the back of Curtis Black's business card, that he attached to the CD for the 1/28/10 meeting, it reads: "Our Vision: Delivering excellence to every customer"

    When I read that, I just rolled my eyes.

    By the way, how VERY Nash-Karnerish... Pop out this slogan, "Delivering excellence to every customer," and then screw me around at every opportunity on my SLO Botanical Garden/Parks Commission story.

    More accurate: "Delivering excellence to every customer, unless said customer catches us in our behavior based marketing scams."

    By the way, Mike, I saw the Michael Pollan is going to be on Oprah today. I never watch that show, but I will today.

    M wrote:

    "Before leaving your page, I clicked on the link of the SLO County's official LO sewer project page. Their most recent post of "Recent News and Events" is Nov 3,2009. It's good to know that we are being kept current."

    And, what's hilarious about that, is the Supes, last Tuesday, after all but cancelling their sewer project updates, actually said that people could get updated info from the project's web site.

    Uhhh... guys? Not so much.

    Then there's J. Mac! In da house!

    Dude, it is great to hear from you.

    And I take it, that, from your "May the force be with you" crack, not only have you been reading up, but you've been getting it (of course, if anyone's going to "get it," it's you).

    Is that "Jedi mind trick" stuff great, or what?

    Follow along, young Skywalker. If my hunch is correct (and it always is), my entire story is about to go into hyperdrive.

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:06 AM, March 11, 2010  

  • M,

    I am alive, well and happy! Thanks for asking.

    We all see Ron has been very busy with his posts and his filings to the DA and the FPPC. By now those organizations would have offically responded to the complaints; yet I see Ron has not posted the offical responses. It is a safe bet that Ron's complaints have been rejected as gibberish.

    Meanwhile, I'll just let Ron continue with his little jihad as it is harmless. No need to respond to any of it.

    By Blogger Richard LeGros, at 9:18 AM, March 11, 2010  

  • Well Richard, at least we learned that you feel Ron is relevant enough to frequent his site.
    I was actually just being ornery again in bringing up not hearing from you after Ron's "Ying/Yang-in' It!" article on Feb.17,2010. Especially after you posted "The FPPC is currently actively investigating all these individuals; and have recently been putting J Biggs and BW&S through the wringer on their non-disclosure issues. The resulting fines the FPPC will collect from these individuals will be in the tens of thousands." Out of curiosity, how long did it take from the time you filed those complaints until the determination was made?
    Sincerely, M

    By Blogger M, at 3:58 PM, March 11, 2010  

  • M,

    Oh, don't chuckle just yet about the FPPC findings as there are 'circumstances' behind their ruling relating to 'other matters'.

    The FPPC findings were very narrow in scope for they focused on the complaint as it related to their guidelines as to what constitutes a 'conflict'. Note that the possibility of a conflict was not ruled out as their ruling just said that a conflict did not exist according to the FPPC guidelines. Never-the-less, I am satisfied that the FPPC acted appropriately on this matter.

    The point that you (and Ron) want to avoid is that Ron's complaints have been REJECTED as NOT WORTHY FOR INVESTAGATION AT ALL due to his complaint's lack of supportive evidence and law.

    In comparison, the TW complaints were readily accepted as the evidence and law provided was compelling enough for the FPPC to accept the complaint and begin investigations.

    How much time was spent investigating from start to finish?
    Well, I do know the complaints were filed in early November, 2009; that the complaints were accepted for investigation in December, 2009; and that the FPPC began their investigation in mid January, 2010.

    I also know that BW&S spent over 26attorney-hours responding to the FPPC investigators questions; as for how much time the FPPC spent I do not know. But the depth of the BW&S response indicates the investigation was intensive.

    In closing, rest assured that Ron’s ‘relevancy’ has nothing to do as to why I visit his blog from time to time. The only reason I read this blog is that it is very amusing, fanciful, and downright silly.

    By Blogger Richard LeGros, at 6:33 PM, March 11, 2010  

  • "Richard," remember when I wrote that one of your guys' many problems is that your timing sucks?

    You know what another one is? You don't think things through.

    You don't realize that by saying things like this:

    "It is a safe bet that Ron's complaints have been rejected as gibberish."

    ... that you are actually CONDONING this:

    "Supervisor Bruce Gibson's appointment to the SLO County Parks Commission, Pandora Nash-Karner, also sits on the Board of Directors for the San Luis Obispo Botanical Garden -- a facility that leases County-owned land, is discussed at Parks Commission meetings, and is also planning a "$20 million" expansion, and, according to their executive director, the one proposal they've received to design the project is from the SWA Group, where Nash-Karner's husband, Gary Karner, is a "Managing Principal and Senior Project Manager for 27 years and is currently retained by SWA," according to his bio."

    So, "Richard," that arrangement is o.k. with you? That makes no sense whatsoever.

    That's why I put "Richard" in quotation marks, because it makes absolutely zero sense for the real Richard LeGros to defend that arrangement (over, and over, and over again), and A TON of sense for Pandora Nash-Karner to defend that arrangement (over, and over, and over again).

    Someone posting as "Richard LeGros" wrote:

    "The point that you (and Ron) want to avoid is that Ron's complaints have been REJECTED as NOT WORTHY FOR INVESTAGATION AT ALL due to his complaint's lack of supportive evidence and law."

    Really? That's news to me.

    Look, I know I have you guys on this. So, if the FPPC actually tells me they aren't going to investigate because they don't find a conflict of interest in that above-mentioned arrangement, trust me, I'LL be popping out the mother of all press releases announcing my deep disappointment with the fact that the FPPC didn't seem to find a conflict of interest in this arrangement:

    "Supervisor Bruce Gibson's appointment to the SLO County Parks Commission, Pandora Nash-Karner, also sits on the Board of Directors for the San Luis Obispo Botanical Garden -- a facility that leases County-owned land, is discussed at Parks Commission meetings, and is also planning a "$20 million" expansion, and, according to their executive director, the one proposal they've received to design the project is from the SWA Group, where Nash-Karner's husband, Gary Karner, is a "Managing Principal and Senior Project Manager for 27 years and is currently retained by SWA," according to his bio."

    Either way, I'll have a helluva story!

    By Blogger Ron, at 9:34 AM, March 12, 2010  

  • 2 funny, quick rewrites from my post above:

    1. I wrote:

    "I'LL be popping out the mother of all press releases announcing my deep disappointment with the fact that the FPPC didn't seem to find a conflict of interest in this arrangement:"

    I wished-I'd put "deep disappointment" in quotes, because that's already part of my smart-ass-yet-super-tight (you know, "SewerWatch style") press release that I've drafted in my head, on the contingency that the ([and, let's face it, folks] potentially [and for many reasons] heavily conflicted) FPPC fails to investigate my complaint.

    And, like I said, that press release -- drafted in my head -- is top, top notch.

    2. I wrote:

    "... it makes absolutely zero sense for the real Richard LeGros to defend that arrangement (over, and over, and over again), and A TON of sense for Pandora Nash-Karner to defend that arrangement"

    And, damn, I wish I would have wrote:

    "... it makes absolutely zero sense for the real Richard LeGros to defend that arrangement (over, and over, and over again), and $20 MILLION TONS of sense for Pandora Nash-Karner to defend that arrangement... (over, and over, and over again)... of course."

    By Blogger Ron, at 11:36 AM, March 12, 2010  

  • Wait a sec... something just ocurred to me:

    I wrote:

    "... it makes absolutely zero sense for the real Richard LeGros to defend that arrangement (over, and over, and over again)..."

    Upon further review, I CAN think of a scenario where it would make sense for the real Richard LeGros to defend... over, and over, and over, and over again... that above-mentioned arrangement: If he's gettin' a piece of that $20 million tonage.

    Now, THAT makes sense.

    By Blogger Ron, at 12:21 PM, March 12, 2010  

  • "Pandora Nash-Karner doesn't "recall" important conversations with her Supervisor, AND doesn't check her agenda packets before meetings?

    Um, isn't that her job?"


    Why should Pandora review the meeting agenda when she has her own.....agenda? Imagine her shock at finding out that Mr . Gibson had a momentary lapse in the jedi mind control? Has that been rectified with Mr. Curtis's letter that attempts to cover for Pandora. And, quite frankly, why are they covering for her?

    By Blogger Commentary, at 8:45 PM, March 12, 2010  

  • LOL,

    Please continue writing your gibberish as it is a very funny fantasy.

    LOL

    By Blogger Richard LeGros, at 7:41 AM, March 13, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home